With ice cream machines you can make delicious ice cream quickly and easily. Creamy ice cream crystallizes and becomes as hard as stone in the freezer. That’s why ice cream has to be constantly in motion during production. The ice maker does that job. All you have to do is add fruit, cream and sugar. The models tested vary greatly in power and equipment.
The Best Home Ice Cream Makers Machines in 2021
The Best Home Ice Cream Makers Consumer Report 2021.
1.Cuisinart ICE-45 Mix It In Soft Serve 1-1/2-Quart Ice Cream Maker
Professional-quality soft ice cream, yogurt, sorbet and sherbet is now available right at home, with the Cuisinart® Mix It In™ Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker. Not only does it make everyone’s favorites, but with three built-in condiment dispensers, it makes them extra delicious! Just a pull of a tab sends sprinkles, chips and other mix-ins down the chute to mix right into frozen desserts as cones or bowls are filled. Operation is fully automatic; simply pour in the ingredients and turn the dial!
2.Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker (White)
The heavy-duty motor makes frozen yogurt, ice cream, sorbet – even frozen drinks – in 20 minutes or less. Pure and Simple Indulgence Add fresh ingredients to the mixing bowl, turn on the machine, and go. It’s fully automatic. Plus, cleanup is a breeze. Perfectly Delicious The large capacity mixing bowl lets you make up to 1-1/2 quarts of your favorite smooth and creamy frozen treats.
3.Hamilton Beach 68330N 4-Quart Automatic Ice-Cream Maker,Cream
The 4 Quart Ice Cream Maker is perfect for special occasions like birthdays, summer parties, or vacations. Fill it with fresh ingredients from the farmer’s market or grocery store and create a one-of-a-kind treat that everyone will appreciate.
- Delicious versatility
- Makes ice cream, frozen yogurt, custard, sorbet, gelato and sherbet
- Fully automatic – no stirring needed. Just add ingredients, ice & rock salt – it does all the work, then stops when ready
- Over 20 recipes included – try the recipes inside or create your own unique taste by mixing in candy, cookies, or fresh fruit
- Easy-lock lid – easily fits on top and locks in place with a quick turn
- 4 quart capacity – the perfect size for families and special occasions
4.Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker
Make one and a half quarts of your own lusciously rich gelato and ice cream – batch after batch – right at home with ease thanks to the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker! Get professional results every time with separate paddles for gelato and ice cream, and fully automatic operation with a 60-minute countdown timer. The Keep Cool function will kick in after your time is up to keep your ice cream or gelato cool to ensure perfect consistencies every time! Mix-ins can be added through the see-through lid while churning for unlimited flavor combinations. The commercial quality compressor-freezer means it’s always ready to go.
5.Nostalgia ICMP400WD Electric Wood Bucket Ice Cream Maker, 4-Quart
It features a locking motor mount, easy-to-clean bucket and a 4-quart aluminum canister. Simply add your ingredients into the aluminum canister, place in the middle of the bucket, layer with ice and salt and allow the electric motor do the rest. The durable churn paddle produces delicious creamy homemade ice cream, while the easy-clean plastic liner provides easy cleanup. Customize each recipe by adding extras like strawberry preserves, cookie dough, candy pieces and much more. When done, use the included lid and lid cap to store leftover ice cream in the freezer.
In addition to making traditional delicacies, an ice cream maker is able to prepare frozen yogurt, various chilled cocktails, sorbet, the same fruit (or milk) ice, and can also be used as a storage for ice cubes.
6.Whynter ICM-200LS Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker, 2.1-Quart
Make delicious homemade ice cream that you can fully customize to taste with the Whynter ICM-200LS 2.1 Quart Ice Cream Maker. Incredibly easy to use, you can create delicious ice cream, rich creamy gelato and sorbet all in the comfort of your own home. Ideal for entertaining, this high capacity unit makes up to two quarts of your favorite frozen dessert in a single batch. The sleek stainless steel exterior and soft touch LCD control panel will accent any kitchen counter. This will quickly become your new best friend. You will never again have to wait hours or take up freezer space before being able to make your favorite frozen dessert.
7. Gourmia GSI180 Automatic Healthy Frozen Dessert Maker
Easily create smooth, soft serve frozen treats by adding your choice of fruit to the chute! The machine does all the work for you and in no time you have a delicious, frozen, fruity dessert! With this frozen fruit dessert maker you can enjoy fresh, wholesome and healthy treats guilt free! One of the best features of this frozen fruit dessert maker is that the end result has a similar texture and taste to ice cream but without any dairy or fat, or the additives found in store-bought ice-cream. Simply pop your frozen fruit into the machine and you’ll end up with a delicious frozen treat in no time. If you’re trying to watch your waistline, love fruit, or simply like indulging your sweet tooth every now and again, this is the perfect appliance for you!
8.BIMONK Ice Cream Maker
BIMONK home-made ice cream maker not only provides a opportunity for your treating families and friends, but also allows you to control the amount of sugar and fat for organic foods without flavors sacrificed.
User-friendly knob is designed for automatically on and off, you just adjust the knob to your preferred time and focus on your important stuff without distraction, then delicious ice cream is made with “ding” indication, even you are a beginner. The top, inner paddle are detachable which is beneficial for your ready freezing and cleaning.
9.Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker
Make your favorite frozen desserts right at home with this A delicious way to top off any meal. With a brushed stainless steel housing, unit is fully automatic. The fully automatic Cuisinart Pure Indulgence makes 2 quarts of your favorite frozen desserts or drinks in as little as 25 minutes. It’s easy – an integrated motor, double-insulated freezer bowl and automatic mixing paddle do all the work. Results are consistently smooth, cleanup is easy, and the brushed metal styling is simply sensational.
10.Cuisinart CIM-42PC Ice Cream Maker, White
Now you can make your favorite frozen yogurt at home in just 20 minutes or less! the fully automatic Cuisinart frozen yogurt – ice cream & sorbet maker lets you turn ingredients into a delicious and healthy frozen treat with no fuss and no mess. Simply add your ingredients to the bowl, press on, and the machine does the rest!
What are ice cream makers and how do they work?
Ice cream machines are kitchen gadgets that help you make ice cream. All you have to do is add the individual ingredients to the ice cream machine according to the recipe, and they will stir and chill for you. There are ice cream machines with a compressor that actively cool, or ice cream machines without a compressor: here you have to put the ice cream machine’s ice pack in the freezer about 8-12 hours in advance so the machine can passively cool the ice cream when it’s beaten.
What types of ice cream machines come in?
There are basically two types of ice cream machines that vary greatly in size and price, but primarily in use: ice machines with or without a compressor. You can decide which one is right for you, according to your preferences:
- Ice cream machine with compressor: these ice machines are more expensive, but they are much more practical when making ice cream. Compressor ice cream machines are massive machines that often take up as much space as a microwave oven, need to be stable and hang on to a power source. The units have fully automatic cooling for this purpose. You only need to pour the ingredients yourself, the machine will do the rest, at best the ice cream will be ready in 30 minutes, and then you can stir the next batch right away.
- Ice cream machines without a compressor: cheaper ice cream machines with ice cream containers require pre-mixing. The units constantly stir the creamy ice cream, but cooling is done only with a cold compress, which releases the stored cold. To do this, the coolant bowl must be pre-cooled in the freezer for 8 to 24 hours – and of course, there must be room. Only when the bowl has really cooled can you add the ingredients for the ice cream and let the appliance stir. If the container and ingredients are well chilled, the cooling capacity is enough for a second batch in many cases. However, you are limited, spontaneous cravings for ice cream are difficult to satisfy.
What should you look for when using an ice cream maker?
- Size and weight. Ice cream machines with a compressor require space for the equipment. Usually the devices are at least 40 cm wide and 30 cm deep, of which the ice bucket occupies only a small part, but of course it needs to be cooled on all sides. The compressor is very important: only a few ice cream machines weigh less than 10 kg, usually around 12 or 13 kg. In addition, the device, which is intensely stirred inside, must be stable. A compressor ice cream maker is not a small kitchen appliance. There are differences in whether the unit is larger in width or larger in depth, but technically the total volume can hardly be reduced. An ice cream machine without a compressor is only half the size, but you need enough room in the freezer compartment to fit a freezer container with an ice pack in it.
- Filling the volume. Ice cream makers with compressors rarely have a problem making multiple servings of ice cream in a row. However, if there is ice for the whole family, a large volume ice container makes sense so that everyone can be delivered quickly and no one has to wait. Many devices have 2-liter containers. The maximum amount of ingredients you can fill is, of course, smaller: 1.5 liters or even just one liter. When stirring, air is blown in and you end up with a full container of creamy ice cream mixture. Some ice cream makers, with their smaller portions, are more gourmet-oriented: ice cream containers are no larger than 1.2 liters. So it depends on how and where you want to use your ice cream makers.
- Cooking time. Cooking ice cream in an ice cream machine consists of cooling and stirring, so that the result is dense but still creamy. The machines take varying amounts of time to achieve the desired consistency, but the preparation time is usually between 30 and 60 minutes. Some particularly nimble models are ready in 25 minutes or less, but the ice may still be too soft. Devices with a specified prep time of 30 minutes are definitely fast enough, but longer wait times can have an advantage for the quality of the ice cream. Of course, there is time to prepare the ingredients, and they should be refrigerated before pouring them into the ice cream machine. This speeds up and improves the production of ice cream.
- Equipment and accessories. Most compressor ice cream machines have an LCD display that shows the ice cream timer and temperature. The choice of programs is usually limited to “stirring and cooling” or just “cooling”. Either way, ice cream makers don’t need to do more than these simple tasks. Cooking times for different types of ice cream can usually be found in the instruction manual or in the included recipe book. In almost all cases, accessories include a spatula for removing the ice cream from the container and in many cases also a measuring cup. Some units even include a second ice bucket. Automatic shutoffs and buzzers are helpful. However, this equipment is not mandatory.
- Handling and Cleaning. Some ice cream machines have only one button to turn on and off, others have multiple buttons and a display. Depending on whether you appreciate more sophisticated devices or fairly simple devices, you are free to choose here. However, when shopping, it is also important to make sure that you are buying an ice cream maker that is easy to clean. Can you wash the individual parts in the dishwasher? This is especially important if the ice cream maker is in constant use.
- Volume. Due to the stirring mechanism and compressor cooling, the ice cream maker makes a natural noise. The device gets louder than, for example, a microwave, but not as loud as a mixer. The average is about 60 decibels, which is about the same as a conversation at room volume. Emissions upwards can sometimes be heard at over 65 decibels, and particularly quiet devices remain at less than 55 decibels. You should always expect noise, which is normal in the kitchen anyway. At least none of the ice cream machines with compressors have reached dangerous volume levels. Ice cream machines without compressors are quieter, with a maximum of 60 decibels here, usually 55 decibels.
- Motor power. The electric motor of an ice cream maker performs two tasks: on the one hand, it drives the mixing mechanism, and on the other hand, it is responsible for cooling devices with a compressor. Ice cream machines with cold packs usually have only 6 to 12 watts of power, which is a requirement exclusively for stirring. The compressor, naturally, consumes much more power: ice cream machines with an intrinsic cooling range of 90 to over 200 watts. Mixers with low power can get stuck in the frozen ice mass. It’s hard to make a general statement about the best motor because many factors come into play. However, the winners of the compressor ice cream machine tests almost always have a 180 watt motor.
How important is cleaning an ice cream maker?
The fresh ingredients in homemade ice cream, especially with the traditional mixture of milk, cream and sugar, are an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, despite refrigeration. Just in case, the ingredient mixture should always be heated and then refrigerated, especially when egg yolks are added. However, you should quickly turn the base mixture into ice and enjoy. The ice bucket, blades and lid should then be thoroughly cleaned. Leftover ice cream hardens inside, rinsing it out is rare enough. However, not all ice cream makers have dishwasher-safe parts; tedious dishwashing cannot be avoided here.
What are the advantages of ice cream machines?
With ice from an ice cream machine you have full control over the ingredients . So you can not only decide for yourself how much sugar goes into the ice cream and what quality the fruit will be – which is hard to judge from supermarket ice cream. An ice cream machine is also useful for people with special dietary requirements: vegetarians, vegans or people suffering from allergies need not fear unpleasant surprises, and they still do not have to do without summer snacks.
Ice cream makers also let your creativity flow: it doesn’t have to be a tedious chocolate or strawberry ice cream. Since you determine the ingredients yourself, it invites you to experiment with unusual blends . Perhaps that’s how you’ll find your new favorite variety. Of course, it could go wrong and the ice cream will be inedible. Fortunately, it takes 30 to 60 minutes to make, so you can fix the occasional mistake and start over.
Because it’s quick and easy to do with an ice cream maker, you don’t – and shouldn’t – need to make ice cream. Because homemade ice cream naturally doesn’t contain all the preservatives and spoils rather quickly. Storage in the freezer is not recommended. The desired portion is always better prepared fresh, it is also tastier.
What is the difference between dairy ice cream, sorbet and soft-serve ice cream?
Can your ice cream machine make milk ice cream, soft-serve ice cream, and sorbet? Congratulations! But you know the difference? It’s mostly in the details:
- Dairy ice cream: as the name implies, dairy ice cream is mostly made with milk or cream. For a particularly creamy consistency, eggs are added to some. If an ice cream wants to be called dairy ice cream, by law the main ingredients must be milk or cream.
- Sorbet: Sorbet is practically the original form of ice, consisting of fruit juice, water and possibly sugar. In order to be legally called a sorbet, commercially produced sorbets must contain at least 25% fruit. The exception is citrus sorbets. Here the percentage is 15%, otherwise they would be highly acidic.
- Soft ice cream. Soft-serve ice cream is ice cream made differently. The ice cream mass is cooled only about halfway to -6 degrees and whipped creamy when portioned with compressed air.
How long does homemade ice cream keep?
Because it’s quick and easy to make with an ice cream maker, you don’t need – and shouldn’t – produce ice cream. Homemade ice cream, of course, has no preservatives and spoils rather quickly. Storing in the freezer is not recommended because homemade ice cream can harden quickly. The desired portion is always better prepared fresh, it is also tastier. In general, however, the following applies: The shelf life of ice cream depends on the refrigeration temperature. This means that ice is not stored as long in the refrigerator as it is in the freezer.
Is it worth buying an ice cream maker?
This is a question you need to answer for yourself. If you love to eat ice cream and you love to cook, those are two things that speak in favor of an ice cream machine. But be realistic: You won’t need an ice cream machine with a compressor costing more than $300 if you only want to make ice cream once a year.
But if you like to experiment, have more guests and spontaneously feel the urge to eat freshly made ice cream even when you’re sleeping, then a professional ice cream machine with compressor is what you need.
How to clean an ice cream machine?
Depending on the manufacturer’s instructions, individual parts that come in contact with ice cream during ice cream making (such as the cooling container or the agitator lever) can be washed in a dishwasher. For manual cleaning, use enough hot water (about 60 degrees), mild detergent, and a soft brush or sponge. Make sure the water is hot enough, otherwise bacteria can easily multiply if they are made from cream, milk or eggs if not cleaned properly. Then dry all components thoroughly and put the clean ice cream maker away in a dry place until the next use.
Most popular models:
Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker
Cuisinart ICE-45 Mix It In Soft Serve 1-1/2-Quart Ice Cream Maker
Whynter ICM-200LS Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker, 2.1-Quart
The ice cream machine cools the initial products (e.g. cream, fruit and sugar) and mixes the mass by constantly stirring with a large amount of air, which ensures a creamy consistency of the ice cream. Technically, this process is called overmixing or overstirring.
Soft ice cream is ice cream with a special soft consistency that does not cool as much as regular ice cream. It consists of ¾ milk and must be made at home with a special soft ice cream powder.
An expert in household appliances and electronics. I prepare and publish reviews, ratings and instructions for choosing the best models and brands. Higher education – IT engineer.
Last update on 2021-10-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API